When Kristin & Brandon said that they wanted to do something really different, they had me hook, line and sinker. I LIVE for clients who want to push the envelope. The suggestion of raw cotton sealed the deal for me. All of us have worked in the wedding industry for years and had never seen raw cotton used before. We knew it would be unique, but we had no idea we’d be starting such a trend!

For Kristin’s bouquet, I wanted something rustic, funky, and still incredibly happy… to suit Kristin’s aesthetic and her personality. I used raw cotton, balsa wood flowers, lily pods, green berzillia berries, silver brunia, eucalyptus pods, astrantia rosea, and lots of dusty miller along with other assorted sticks and pods. I finished the bouquet off with a wrap of burlap and raw cotton puffs adhered with wrapped twine.

The pièce de résistance of the ceremony were the many, many, many feet of raw cotton, strung on monofiliment wire and suspended high along the aisle way. Kristin & Brandon & I came up with this idea during our initial consultation, and it really defined the aesthetic for the rest of the wedding decor. I won’t tell you how many hours I spent stringing the cotton… but each piece had to be pierced twice in criss-crossing directions (to actually hold the four “puffs” of cotton onto the pod) and tied off with a double knot to hold it in place. I strung several hundred cotton balls and it took me about three weeks of stringing off-and-on in the studio to get it all done. I also hung strung cotton from the wooden arbor that served as the backdrop for the ceremony.

At the reception (held in the tented backyard of a private residence), I decorated the massive head table with an utterly amazing tablescape. The other guest tables had burlap runners with alternating bud vases filled with different types of flowers and twigs, and mini mason jars with candles. There was seriously something different to look at every where you turned.

Kristin and Brandon, I wish you a lifetime of happiness together.

CREDITS | Photography: Jasmine Star | Floral Design & Styling: Lauryl Lane | Coordination: Red Velvet Occasions | Desserts: Sweet and Saucy Shop | DJ: Atmosphere DJ | Videography: Shade Tree Films.

24 Comments to Wedding at Oak Canyon Nature Center

1. you're a genius. this is amazing. i can't even imagine how much time you must have put into this.. whatever it was, well, well worth it! you're a rockstar.

shannon's Gravatar shannon
    August 2, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Permalink
  2. honestly, how do you do it. your mind + fingers were designed to do this all day. GLORY!

MaeMae's Gravatar MaeMae
    August 2, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Permalink
  3. Oh! Cotton! How clever of you! I don't suppose I'd have ever conceived of such a thing, but it's just lovely. I'm frantically putting the finishing touches on seven silk dresses for the wedding of the daughter of a former client. I've missed sewing, but this has been a bigger project than I bargained for. Aren't you glad that work can be fun as well? A rather dull day job in insurance may drive me back to the sewing studio in my spare time! I'll be looking for creative outlets, and sewing just suits my fancy.

Rebecca's Gravatar Rebecca
    August 2, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Permalink
  4. This is too fab and your work is amazing!!! I would love to see a shot of the whole head table. And one of my brides is planning a smore's bar for this summer! love!!

nancy {so happi together}'s Gravatar nancy {so happi together}
    August 2, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Permalink
  5. Beautiful! LOVE the cake topper!

Alyssa J's Gravatar Alyssa J
    August 2, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Permalink
  6. Miss Lauryl….. wow !! I loved every damn thing… the bridal bokay was stunning, so textured, and absolutely unique. I could look at those pics for hours. Keep on rockin'…. and those desserts…mmmmm, not to mention the cake stands and with your combination of fleurs, even at the last minute. A+ !!

Denny's Gravatar Denny
    August 2, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Permalink
  7. I lovelovelove it all!

Liz's Gravatar Liz
    August 2, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Permalink
  8. Beautiful. So innovative!

Megan B.'s Gravatar Megan B.
    August 2, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Permalink
  9. OH my goodness! That is amazing. You are ridiculously talented. I can't wait to catch up on all your blog entries. AND, Jasmine Star is one of my FAVORITE photogs. squee

Jen's Gravatar Jen
    August 2, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Permalink
  10. WTF, oh my lordy… you are amazing. I'll be in LA in two weekends. I want some flowers, some tea, and some cookeies with you! Holy crap, what a beautiful, fun, unique, awesome wedding!

Erin Evangeline's Gravatar Erin Evangeline
    August 2, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Permalink
  11. This. is. amazing.

marisa's Gravatar marisa
    August 2, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Permalink
  12. I never comment on anything… (even though I visit wedding blogs daily) but I just had to write something after seeing this on GreenWeddingShoes. I have recently been hired by a bride to do my first ever event (I am usually the wedding photographer) and after a long day at the flower market this morning I needed to see this. It is so unbelievably inspiring… I really have no words. It is stunning, beautiful, creative, different. I only hope one day to be this good! (And to get a couple that unique) Thanks for being awesome :)

V's Gravatar V
    August 2, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Permalink
  13. I just saw this wedding on Green Wedding Shoes. The flowers are absolutely stunning.

janet's Gravatar janet
    August 2, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Permalink
  14. I love the bridesmaids dresses..i figure they are probably out of stock, but where did you get them?

December 17, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Permalink
  15. Lauryl,

My fiance and I had been discussing using raw cotton when I saw this wedding posted recently. You can’t imagine how excited I was to see other people with the same idea! Why hasn’t this been thought of before the recent trend?? We loved your use of the cotton through out the wedding, it wasn’t too much and it was so stylish! Could you share with us what source you used in buying the raw cotton? We’re based in Texas, so I guess I might be able to find it locally, but let me know – if you would, please – where you bought it.

Thanks!

January 4, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Permalink
  16. Thanks for the shout out!! We still love what you did at Brandon and Kristin’s wedding, it was unbelievable and so original. We hope our paths will cross again soon.

February 14, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Permalink
  17. So so creative and genius! I love the balsa wood flowers. Such an inspiring design!

June 23, 2011 at 1:00 am | Permalink
  18. i LOVE your dress! where is it from??

August 8, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Permalink
  19. I love the suits. The color is really nice. Where are they from?

September 13, 2011 at 5:37 am | Permalink